Eclipse Plugin Development

1:21 AM / Comments (1) / by Kevin Vu

I followed Jordan's link on Wiki and find this site: eclipsepluginsite is very helpful to learn developing Eclipse plugins. It provides a hand-on tutorial on how to develop a simple but fully functional eclipse plugin. I've decided to add it in my TODO list for this semester. I properly will take it slow and just do it as a side project beside my bug fix for WTP but will try to manage getting it done by end of this semester. From the first look, the tutorial seems to cover pretty well all the processes from Start (introductions of architectures) to Finish (shipping the plugin as a product) so I think, It will give me a very good fundamental knowledge on developing Eclipse plugins if I go through.

There are 14 chapters in total so the plan is 2 or more chapters per week.

Chapter 01: Introduction to Eclipse Plugin Development
Chapter 02: SWT (Standard Widget Tookit)
Chapter 03: JFace
Chapter 04: Perspectives
Chapter 05: Actions
Chapter 06: Dialogs and Wizards
Chapter 07: Views
Chapter 08: Track Resource Changes
Chapter 09: Preference Pages
Chapter 10: Properties
Chapter 11: Editors
Chapter 12: Builders Natures And Markers
Chapter 13: Help
Chapter 14: Internationalzation

A quick first inspection

2:57 PM / Comments (0) / by Kevin Vu

I'm trying to grab all the classes, methods that are involved in producing the bug. It seems to narrow down to these packages and classes:

package org.eclipse.wst.server.core.internal;
Publish information for a specific module on a specific server.
/* Observed: This class could be the center of the investigation since it has the save() and saveResource() methods. */

package rg.eclipse.wst.server.ui.editor;
Server General Editor page. This class extend from ServerEditorPart.

Provide editor page with error messages which will be displayed on the status bar

package org.eclipse.wst.server.ui.internal;
Translate messages. This class declares messages.

Checking out and Locating Code for Bug240698

2:14 PM / Comments (0) / by Kevin Vu

The bug that I'm working on is related to the "save resource" dialog when editing server configuration (detail here). I've just located the code related to the bug successfully. Thanks to Mr. Angel Vera for his wonderful presentation and John Dang for his awesome "how to". At first, I missed the step where I actually have to check out the code first before doing the search. How silly was I trying to search without checking out :D. Spending almost 1h pulling my hair trying to figure out how come I got 0 result for all keywords I tried :( :D. Thank John for his how to. I read it again and figured out what I was missing. Anyway, I got the code at hand now. Starting the investigation ;).

The Procedures to locate the code:
1. Identify Bug's component: wst.server

2. Open CVS Repository Exploring Perspective

3. Expands "HEAD" -> Select and check out all items that begin with: org.eclipse.wst.server.* (19 items)

4. Search menu -> choose Search to search for "SaveResource".

5. Double click on the result to view the codes